Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Fishing trip

Last saturday I was resting watching tv when suddenly I got a phone call from my friend. He's my x-classmate and my old nemesis in counter strike. He invited me to go fishing with him, his usual activity on weekend. Since I’ve got nothing to do and thinking it was an opportunity to catch up with him, I agreed. At 2 pm I went out and met him. He was just started and readied his fishing rod on the river bank.


He looked trimmer now and he told me he had tried jogging and playing futsal to shed his extra weight for the past few months. I guessed it's working since the last time i met him, he was over 83 kilos! As we chatted, his fishing rod suddenly vibrated and he quickly raised his fishing hook. Yeah, he got his first catch and unfortunately a small one too..haha(I don’t know the name of the fish, so sorry for my lack of knowledge).


Soon, another fishing rod struck gold and yet he got another small one..


Well, that was his last catch. It seemed like no other fish interested with worms around that area, so we decided to shift place to the other end of the river bank, the water board pipe! This is where the water supply in my humble hometown comes from. 


He offered me his fishing rod and asked me to join him. I admited fishing was not my cup of tea but I took up the challenge and got dirty with slimy worms. Let’s just see who caught the biggest fish today! So as we chatted,…


the rod seemed untouched. Where on earth have those fish gone to? Due to this unnecessary stress my friend took out his cigarette and started ‘fogging’.


We talked about how to get rich by selling gecko. I heard a 500 g gecko can fetch up to RM 30,000. Is it true? Is it legal? Treating AIDS with gecko might be a new research but it may pose a threat to gecko. Poor gecko. It didn’t take long before my friend’s rod started shaking and this was what he got..


and another..and another. Lucky him. As my jealousy started to build up, i pretended to sing and mumbling to myself. What’s wrong with my fishing rod anyway!???? It’s 3.30 pm and I still couldn’t caught any swimming creatures. You know, my hometown is famous with mermaid tales. Maybe i should write something about it next time. Brief checking to my gear and he said I was using the wrong hook. I was so ashamed and felt like a complete moron. Being a good listener I changed the hook and prayed it better give me luck.


Again as we were waiting, we saw people transporting raw rubber from a loaded long boat..


The tauke bought the raw rubber from long houses along the river bank. My friend told me that nowadays a kilo of raw rubber could sell up to RM9. It’s sad to see people sacrificing their rubber plantation and convert them to palm tree. In long term, I don’t think palm tree can generate more income to the less fortunate. The workers were all from our neighbour’s country and you won’t get enough income if you have a small piece of land. I'm not a politician but I've been to rumah panjai(long house) deep inside a palm tree plantation. The villagers were happy since the opening of palm tree plantation has serve as a tool to upgrade their (non-exist) road to a red muddy lorry road. They were easily pleased.. Soon after, I got my first catch!!YEAH!!!!




As my eagerly awaited fish started to take the bait, I felt more confidence.  With my confidence soaring high I’ve become more excited and couldn’t sit comfortably. The result has put my big smile back on my face. My prayers were answered with my next catch.


At the end of the tiring evening, this was what we’ve got..


That evening I went back with pride as I was able to caught three(small) prawns! J

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...